On August 31, 2008, NWRU published its "Eight Position Points to Dismantle Poverty in the U.S.," which included the following:
- A Guaranteed Annual Income: "All residents of the U.S. will be eligible for a guaranteed annual income to protect them from falling below the poverty level.
- Universal Health Care with a Single-Payee: "All residents will be eligible for a single-payee health care system funded by the federal government. We oppose private insurance that profits off of the medical conditions of low-income, uninsured people."
- Nationalization of Child Care: "All children should be eligible for free, quality child care. We also support a living wage for child care providers."
- Nationalization of Education, Including the Headstart Program: "All residents will be entitled to education from birth to death. The Headstart Program must be preserved, funding must be increased, and eligibility should be expanded."
- Nationalization of Utilities: "All utilities including electricity, natural gas, heating fuels, water, alternative energy, and communications should be properties of the public domain and not subject to privatization. All forms of communication, such as telephones and Internet access, should be included."
- Nationalization of Housing: "Everyone has a right to a home. It is the duty of the government to provide affordable housing for all residents, and [to] provide periodic maintenance and upgrades."
- Nationalization of Public Mass Transit: "All forms of mass, rapid transit should be fully accessible (including to those with physical disabilities) and affordable to all residents in communities across the country."
- Troop Withdrawal from Iraq, Afghanistan, and No New Deployments: "The Iraq and Afghanistan wars have depleted the American economy with no end in sight. Poor people have disproportionately suffered from the last eight years of these costly deployments physically, emotionally, and financially."
Post a Comment